CAMP STAGMAIER

1916-1918

The estate of John A. Patten paid a sum large enough to allow the Council to operate summer camp in 1916. Camp Stagmaier, named after both Mr. and Mrs. John Stagmaier, was located at Falling Water, near Hixson, “near the old Schachtler overshot mill on Dr. Clark’s property.” It was thirteen miles from the city, and was accessible by going up Dry Valley road twelve miles, and turning to the left on a road going off beyond the Falling Water ridge. Scouts could travel by railroad because the site was only a mile and a half from Cave Springs station. The location was one of the most attractive in the vicinity of Chattanooga. Scouts pitched tents in a shady grove, and a tennis court was marked off. Scouts swam in a small pond a few hundred yards up toward the foot of Walden’s ridge.

Camp John Stagmaier was opened on July 6 with twenty-three boys in attendance, joined by ten more after a solid week of rainy weather.  Visitors found irony in the camp being located on Dry Valley Road.  More appropriately, it was located near Falling Water. Notwithstanding the downpours, the boys remained entirely comfortable. In fact, one concerned parent went to the camp fully intending on bringing back his two boys, thinking that the rain had rendered the camp uninhabitable. Upon his arrival, he found conditions so satisfactory that he allowed his children to remain.  Within a week or so, Falling Water creek’s level went down enough to allow autos to cross without trouble.  The Scouts were remarkably positive about the wet weather. Instead of complaining of the rains, they reported that the few showers kept everything cool.

Once again, Mrs. Stagmaier supplied pipe to the camp for running water, and Mrs. Joe V. Williams donated a victrola and records.  It seemed the highlight of the week was Sunday dinner, in which visitors from the city participated.  The highly successful "Big Brother" program from the previous year returned, allowing forty poor kids to participate in Camp Stagmaier beginning August 5, 1916, where they remained for 10 days for only $3.00. The "Big Brothers" and the Rotarians helped make this possible.  Toward the end of the camp season, forty-three orphans from the Vine Street orphanage spent the day at Camp Stagmaier, where they ate watermelon and fried chicken.

No patches or other memorabilia are known to exist.

Location
Sources

July 2, 1916 - Boy Scouts' Encampment
July 7, 1916 - Boy Scouts Off to Camp
July 9, 1916 - Boy Scouts Undaunted by the Long Wet Spell
July 19, 1916 - Camp Stagmaier Reports
July 23, 1916 - Camp Stagmaier Scouts Prove to be Philosophers
August 3, 1916 - Orphans at Camp Stagmaier

December 1, 1935 - First Boy Scouts in Chattanooga