Air Scouting was a national Scouting program that began in 1942. In 1949, the program name changed to the Air Explorers.
The first Air Scout unit in Tennessee was in Rockwood, Tennessee in 1942.
In 1943, newspaper articles reflected that Air Scout troops in Chattanooga were associated with "Negro Scout Troop" 81 and Troop 8 at the B'Nai Zion Synogogue. The Assistant National Director of Senior Scouting, Ralph H. Mozo, visited Chattanooga in October 1943 to help expand the group in the city. Following his visit, Grace Episcopal Church had their first Air Scout meeting.
In 1947, nine Chattanooga Air Scouts attended Wings Over Dixie, the Air Scout event in Mobile, Alabama. They included: William D. Lansford, Joseph Glascock (Glasscock?), Richard Martin, John McBeth, Robert Shannon, David Fonseca, Herbert Haile, Ted Cox, and Tommy Seagle.
At the January 1948 Council banquet, D.W. Evans announced that the Chattanooga Flyers Club had raised funds to purchase a surplus B-17 for the Air Scouts.
In 1954, the Chattanooga Flyers Club (a local aviators club) announced that it would send ten Scouts to attend the Air Scout encampment at Sewart Air Force Base (at Smyrna, Tennessee) who could not afford the trip.
June 18, 1942 - Roane Boy Scouts Forming Air Troop
Mar. 1, 1943 - Negro Scout News
Aug. 16, 1943 - B'Nai Zion Synagogue
Oct. 19, 1943 - Air Scout Group Expansion Moved
Nov. 8, 1943 - Air Scout Squadron No. 26
Dec. 13, 1943 - Troop 26, Grace Episcopal
Feb. 22, 1944 - Air Scout Squadron 1
Aug. 8, 1947 - 9 From Area Attending Air Scout Encampment
Jan. 23, 1948 - 2 Scout Leaders Win High Awards
Mar. 8, 1948 - Wins Scout Award
Aug. 11, 1954 - Ten Explorer Scouts to be Sent to Sewart