Howard Farris Gill Hinson, referred to as H.F.G. Hinson, first became interested in Scouting in 1923 through contact with Troop 4 of the First Christian Church where his son was mascot. Soon he became Assistant Scoutmaster and then Troop Committeeman. In 1925, he organized and became Scoutmaster of Troop 33, East Side Junior High. Then in 1926, Mr. Hinson moved to North Chattanooga where he assumed leadership of Troop 42, St. Marks M.E. Church. Hinson was among the first class of recipients of the Scoutmaster Key awards in 1928. He resigned as Troop 42 Scoutmaster in August 1930. He died in May 1976 in Birmingham, Alabama.